What is kidney stone?
Kidney stone as the name suggests, stone in the kidney also known as renal calculus in medical language.
There are varieties of kidney stones. The most common type is calcium oxalate. Other types are calcium phosphate, cystine, struvite, and uric acid. Stone forms when the urine becomes concentrated due to some imbalance in the urine substances and minerals present in urine crystallize which accumulate together leading to formation of stone.
Kidney stones may vary in size measuring from 5mm up to 5cm. Small size stone passes through urine without causing any pain or damage to the area where as big stone may cause agonizing pain without any severe damage.
If in case, stone settles down anywhere in the urinary tract which leads many more symptoms then it is treated either medically or surgically according to the severity of the disease.
Males are more affected than females.
Causes of kidney stone
There are many factors in the formation of renal stones:
- Genetic causes: family history of kidney stone makes person susceptible to kidney stone
- Dietary factor: High intake of salt, sugar in the diet. Certain fruits intake in higher amount like apple, grapes, strawberries etc. High intake of certain vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, beet etc. Certain animal rich diets play important role in the formation of renal stones.
- Beverages- Soft drinks can be one of the causes of renal stone.
- Calcium supplements- High intake of calcium supplement can cause renal stone formation.
- Vitamin C- High intake of Vitamin C is one of the reasons behind the formation of kidney stones.
Symptoms of kidney stone
- Severe abdominal pain which may radiates to the lower back, down to the thighs. Kidney stone pain is the most severe pain ever known.
- It may be associated with nausea and vomiting.
- Urinary urgency can be present.
- If any infections in the urinary bladder or when the stone passes down scratching the inner lining of the organ (urinary bladder, ureters, urethra) causes presence of blood in the urine.
Prevention of kidney stone
- More intake of water. Around 2-3 liters per day.
- Keep a check on more animal protein intake and soft drinks consumption.
- Restrict the diet, and cut down the high intake of calcium supplement; vitamin C; beverages; certain vegetables and fruits like spinach, tomatoes, strawberries, grapes which help in the formation of kidney stones.
Diagnosis of kidney stone
- With the patient’s history it can be known.
- A simple USG of abdomen and pelvis can detect the condition.
- CBC- complete blood count to rule out any urinary infections.
- Medications- including painkillers like NSAIDs.
- Lithotripsy (ESWL) – Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy used to remove kidney stones without any surgeries.
Homeopathic treatment for Kidney stones:
Homeopathic medicines helps in relieving symptoms of kidney stone.Patients can start having initial relief in Pain in abdomen, difficulty in passing urine, burning within 1 month.
Homeopathic medicines are effective in removing the stones from kidney. It helps in fragmenting the stone and thus it helps in the easy passage of stone through urine.
Homeopathic medicines prevent the chance of recurrence of stone. Certain people are prone to have stone formation; this tendency to form stone again and again can be dealt with homeopathic medicines. It helps in dealing with the imbalance of the urine substance and thus reduces the chances of formation of kidney stone.
Surgery can be avoided in maximum number of cases with homeopathic treatment.